For once, this was a week that I didn’t want to end. I didn’t want Friday to come around.
That’s because it’s been a pretty glorious week, mostly because the boys are off for spring break and they have been at my in-laws house all week. Yup, that’s right. Five beautiful kid-free days. It’s been really nice to have the mental break.
In other news, I’m officially out of my sling! Well, I don’t have to use it and I’m trying not too but I do put it on when I go for a longer walk or sometimes at the end of the day when my arm is tired. Either way, good riddance.
I’ve had three sessions of physical therapy so far. It takes the soft tissues, tendons and ligaments about 4-6 weeks to heal. I’m 5 weeks out from surgery now so we are primarily working on my range of motion. Then we’ll start on rebuilding strength.
Can I tell you something? PT hurts. I often feel like a piece of meat being tenderized as my therapist tries to stop my muscles from clenching and overcompensating to protect my shoulder. Basically, everything around my shoulder girdle is one big knotted muscle and they are slowly starting to relax. It’s amazing how exhausted your muscles can feel when you aren’t even doing anything!
But there’s been a lot of progress with the pain which I’m thankful for. I’m hoping that by the end of the month, I’ll feel mostly normal and have my range of motion back. Of course, my next question was, “And running??” Fingers crossed that I can start around that time too.
Good Reads: Here are some of my favorite reads recently and I hope you like them too!
- Why I Refer to My Children as Little Assholes via xoJane: OK, I might get some slack for liking this piece and some people (like my husband) might find it offensive. You might not agree but I do love this piece because Glynis says out loud what (I think) many of us think. And it’s more than just the specific name calling – you need to read the piece to understand the bigger story behind the why.
- You’re Still A Great Mom If… via The Lean Green Bean: As a new mom, it can be so confusing and you’re constantly second guessing yourself. I’m so glad that Lindsay shared this post because we need to keep sharing these stories. Motherhood isn’t perfect or supposed to look one way.
- Thoughts on Boston via Breakfast to Bed: The Boston Marathon is coming up and I’m excited for everyone running this year. I really wanted to be in Boston to cheer but doesn’t look like that will happen. But Cat’s post? She captures all the giddy, nervous excitement and awe that I think runs through the minds of most of us runners.
- Mentally Training For Boston via NYC Running Mama: The reason I love this post from Michele (aside from the fact that I love Michele) is that she shows us a side that I don’t think many of us expect from her. She’s an incredible and strong runner but in her post, she talks about her weakness – the mental side of training. I think that’s something we can all work on.
- 19 Things Only Women With A Low Maintenance Fashion Sense Will Understand via Thought Catalog: There’s a good chance that you’ve seen this floating around on your Facebook feed but this essentially sums up my fashion sense. And since I can’t put my hair up in a ponytail or bun right now, my hairstyling options have been reduced to one.
More Ways to Follow Love, Life, Surf