Last week, I shared with you a really amazing chakra-inspired yoga / art project on Instagram called #tastethevibration.
Over 20 days, we shared photos inspired by a specific color-of-the-day: black, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, white and rainbow. Black and rainbow aren’t traditionally associated with the chakra color spectrum but were fun ways to start and end the project.
A few people expressed interest in learning more about chakras. I am by no means an expert. Actually, far far from it as I’m just learning about this too. But here’s some basic information about each of the seven chakras that I’ve learned.
What are chakras and what do colors have to do chakras?
Chakras are vital centers located along the mid-line of the body and through which energy flows. Each of the seven chakra is associated with certain aspects of our psychological make-up. Blocks in our chakras can result in illness or other imbalances.
1. Red – Root Chakra or Muladhara Chakra
- Related to our survival needs, developing a feeling of being grounded and secure, and taking care of your body.
- Associated with the element Earth and the base of the spine, legs, feet, and the large intestine.
- If it is open, you feel present and connected to your physical body.
- If it is under-active, you may feel fearful or nervous.
- If it is over-active, you may be greedy and materialistic.
- Mantra: I am
2. Orange: Sacral Chakra or Svadhisthana Chakra
- Related to our feelings, desire for connection, pleasure and sexuality.
- Associated with the element water and the lower abdomen below the navel, womb, kidneys and circulatory system.
- If it is open, you express feelings freely, open to intimacy and passionate.
- If it is under-active, you may be unemotional and/or not very open to other people.
- If it is over-active, you may overly-emotional.
- Mantra: I feel
3. Yellow: Solar Plexus Chakra or Manipura Chakra
- Related to our sense of self-worth, self-confidence and power.
- Associated with the element fire and the upper abdomen and solar plexus (which is behind your stomach and just below the diaphragm), digestive system, stomach, liver and muscular system. Breathe is an important aspect to bring balance to this chakra.
- If it is open, you may be self-confident.
- If it is under-active, you may be anxiety, fear, indecision and self-doubt.
- If it is over-active, you may be aggressive.
- Mantra: I can
4. Green: Heart Chakra or Anahata Chakra
- Related to our sense of love and kindness as well as our spiritual center. Love is experienced as a state of being and comes from within as opposed to the second chakra which is related to something external. The heart chakra also connects the three lower chakras to the three upper chakras.
- Associated with the element air and the heart and lungs.
- If it is open, you may be compassionate, open and friendly.
- If it is under-active, you may be distant and cold.
- Mantra: I love
5. Blue: Throat Chakra or Vishudda Chakra
- Related to our sense of self-expression and communication.
- Associated with the element sound and the throat, neck, thyroid (which control metabolism).
- If it is open, you communicate and express yourself easily.
- If it is under-active, you may be introverted and shy.
- If it is over-active, you may be overly expressive.
- Mantra: I speak
6. Purple: Third Eye Chakra or Ajna Chakra
- Related to intuition and wisdom, and our ability to visualize and see the big picture.
- Associated with the forehead between the eyes.
- If it is open, you have good intuition and imagination.
- If it is under-active, you may too reliant on others and belief systems.
- If it is over-active, you may be overly imaginative.
- Mantra: I see
7. White: Crown Chakra or Sahasrara Chakra
- Related to awareness of our mind and our ability to fully connect spiritually and to pure bliss.
- Associated with the element of thought and the very top of the head, central nervous system and cerebral cortex.
- If it is open, you well aware of the world.
- If it is under-active, you may be not aware of the world at all.
- If it is over-active, you may be overly reliant on spirituality and not connected to your physical body.
- Mantra: Silence
Kind of cool, right?
I kind of love learning more about this and how it relates to me, my body and my psychology. It brings me a different understanding of my yoga practice too.
More Ways to Follow Love, Life, Surf